The Neapolitan style pizza has crossed borders and is one of the favorites of the whole world! Would you like to learn how to prepare it at home? Continue reading and discover the recipe step by step.
Unlike what many people think, Neapolitan pizza is not a kind of pizza but a style of preparation that, of course, has its secrets.
The main differential of this pizza is its mass, which gives a result with a high and soft edge, very far from the Roman that has a thin and crispy dough (and in some parts of the world is known as the classic pizza “on the stone” ). Join us to discover this recipe step by step.
Neapolitan style pizza
Processing difficulty: medium
Processing time (including the proofing of the dough): + 24 hours
Let’s discover together how to prepare a real Italian pizza, in this case, of the Neapolitan variety that has a higher and fluffy mass. We propose you the classic and famous margarita pizza but, of course, you can vary the complements to your taste incorporating all kinds of ingredients.
If you are on a diet, do not deprive yourself of eating a homemade pizza once in a while. You must pay attention to its ingredients to choose the best option that does not bother your plans to maintain your ideal weight.
Ingredients for 2 large pizzas
- 450 g of strength flour
- 250 ml of water
- 12 g of salt
- 2.5 g of fresh yeast
- extra virgin olive oil (quantity needed)
- 400 g of crushed tomato
- 250 g of mozzarella
- fresh basil (to taste)
- salt and oregano (to taste)
Preparation of pizza Neapolitan style
Preparation of the dough
- Put some water in a bowl and reserve the rest.
- Dissolve the yeast in the first bowl. Reservation.
- Put the flour in a large bowl and incorporate the yeast dissolved in water. Remove to join.
- Take the bowl with water that you reserved in the first step and dissolve the 12 grams of salt there.
- Add the salt water to the yeast-flour. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- When you have obtained a sticky mass, it is time to use your hands. Mix with your hands until you form a ball.
- Place some flour on the table and start kneading. You will have to knead for a while until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Neapolitan pizza makers insist that the dough must “slap” to achieve the desired texture.
- When you have managed to form a uniform ball, place the dough in a bowl, cover with a rag and let rise for a day. In this rest, the mass will triple its size.
- After the resting time, flour the table again and put the dough there.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Arrange each part in a bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise one hour more.
Preparation of condiments for pizza
- Place the crushed tomato in a bowl and add two tablespoons of olive oil. Mixture.
- Add oregano and season to taste. Reservation
Preparing the pizza
- After the last time of rest, take the dough and stretch it on the floured table, giving it a round format. If you do not have a round mold, you can make it square or rectangular. Try not to manipulate the dough too much to avoid losing air.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Place inside the mold that you will use for the pizza. The real Neapolitan style pizza is cooked in a wood-fired oven but if, like most mortals, you do not have one at home, use the oven and it will also look great. If you have, you can use a pizza stone to give a crispier texture to the bottom.
- Brush the pizza with two tablespoons of sauce.
- Paint the pizza shovel with olive oil to prevent the dough from sticking and with your help, place the pizza inside the oven. If you do not have a pizza shovel, you can place the pizza directly in the preheated mold.
- Cook the dough for about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the mozzarella.
- Place the pizza again in the oven to finish cooking for 10 or 12 more minutes.
- Garnish with basil leaves.
Ideas for Neapolitan style pizza
- In Argentina, for example, Neapolitan pizza has tomato sauce, mozzarella and tomato slices flavored with salt and oregano. Delicious!
- You can incorporate all kinds of ingredients to the recipe that we have presented: mushrooms, ham, artichokes, anchovies, olives, bacon, onion, pepper, sausage or whatever you can think of!
- Some pizzerias offer varieties with béchamel sauce and spinach instead of cheese, for example.
- You can also prepare a salad pizza to incorporate more vegetables into your diet.
Play with your creativity and create a pizza Neapolitan style with all kinds of ingredients. You can even prepare a pizza party and prepare all the varieties that you can think of!