Does your favorite costume jewelry have traces of rust? Tranquility and deep breathing, because it is not about anything that can not be fixed with a little skill and patience. In this article, we share with you some tactics to clean rusty jewelry and make it as good as new. Do not miss it!
Pay attention to the tips that we present below to make your jewelry last much longer in excellent condition. Take a pen and paper, and take note!
Tips for cleaning rusty jewelry
At present, many homemade tricks are known that allow removing traces of rust from costume jewelry without resorting to abrasive (and expensive) products. Continue reading to discover different ideas that can help you leave your jewelry as new, without spending more!
1. Baking soda
Baking soda is one of those products that can not be missed at home. This mineral is perfect for cleaning all kinds of surfaces, from countertops to stains of clothes and, of course, it can also be used to remove rust from costume jewelry!
Wet a cloth and take with it some baking soda. Rub the jewelry piece gently, rinse and dry well. Repeat the process as many times as necessary.
Note: this option is not suitable for gold jewelry because it could damage the color.
This is Grandma’s trick and it works perfectly! Polish your necklaces and other metal parts with toothpaste and the help of a cloth. Rinse and rub with a dry cloth to remove moisture and shine.
Take a glass of water and put two effervescent aspirins inside. Immerse your costume jewelry in the mix and let it act for 10 minutes. When removing the pieces, there will be no more traces of rust!
4. Cola soft drink
The famous cola brand is another excellent option to eliminate rust. The process is as easy as immersing the jewelry in a glass of cola and wait a few minutes. Then, empty the glass and simply polish each piece with a cloth.
Note: Do not use this recipe to clean gold jewelry because it could affect the appearance of the piece.
5. Baking soda and vinegar
If the rust is very resistant, you can try mixing in a bowl a little white vinegar with a teaspoon of baking soda. When you start to see bubbles, immerse your jewelry for a few minutes. Remove it, dry it with a cloth and that’s it!
Prevention to avoid damage to costume jewelry
Now that your costume jewelry shines again without traces of rust, you should start taking care of it properly! To prevent it from blackening and losing its shine, you can take some simple precautions:
- Avoid mixing accessories: the idea is to store them separately to increase the useful life of each one and prevent rust from appearing. The cloths portabisutería usually are a good option.
- Separate accessories according to the material: gold should be kept with gold, silver with silver and separate jewelry to avoid damaging other accessories.
- Try to prevent your accessories from coming into contact with sea water, soap, chlorine and other abrasive elements. The jewels should not accompany you to the beach and also, you should remember to take them off when you take a bath.
- Do not use costume jewelry when you exercise, since sweat could affect the color of the piece.
- Do not let your jewelry come into contact with perfume or creams to prevent them from affecting their appearance.
- Store your jewelry in a cool, dark place to minimize the chances of oxidation.
- Protect your costume jewelry with transparent nail polish.
Do not get rid of your jewelry with traces of rust. As you have discovered, cleaning rusty jewelry is not an impossible mission. We hope these tricks are useful for you and that your jewelry is as good as new!